Subject: Re: linux pcmcia drivers
To: Garth Corral <garthc@compass-da.com>
From: Herb Peyerl <hpeyerl@beer.org>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 01/31/1996 09:05:46
Garth Corral <garthc@compass-da.com>  wrote:
 > On Tue, 30 Jan 1996, John Kohl wrote:
 > > Any words of caution or other warnings?
 > >
 > I have not heard much discussion on pcmcia in general or the FreeBSD code
 > in particular.  Is the FreeBSD code somehow not suitable as a base for
 > NetBSD?  I'd really like to see this working in NetBSD.  I'm willing to
 > lend a hand with this (This is not necessarily a good thing :-) ) if
 > someone could point me to the appropriate person or persons.

I don't actually know anything about the pcmcia code technically but I
overheard some conversation at Usenix that indicate the code isn't quite
ready for primetime. Snippets of conversation I heard indicate that with
the pcmcia code in place, it isn't possible to load the kernel on a machine
without pcmcia support and have it boot. It also probably doesn't pay lip-
service to the Alpha and it's configurations... The task of NetBSD wrt this
sort of thing is more difficult than Linux and FreeBSD due to the fact that
the i386 isn't our only architecture. (Yes, I'm aware that Linux is purport-
edly multi-platformed but.........)

[Note, I don't speak for NetBSD.]