Subject: Re: NetBSD 1.1 will not boot from floppy for me
To: Brett Lymn <blymn@awadi.com.AU>
From: David Weaver <dweaver@clover.cleaf.com>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 01/30/1996 21:05:32
On Tue, 30 Jan 1996, Brett Lymn wrote:

>         I am running NetBSD 1.1 on a 486DX/33 with a bunch of generic
> hardware.  The problem I have is that I cannot boot the 1.1 boot
> disk - actually, this is a slight exageration - the floppy boots up
> but when it gets to the point of changing the root device to be the
> floppy the thing goes toes up.  This happens with the kc_adp-1.1,
> install and upgr-1.1 disks.

You have just described the very same problem I had when I attempted to
upgrade from NetBSD/i386-1.0 to 1.1 .  Both kernel copy disks get to the
point of changing the root device to fd0, and then the system resets.

I posted a request for help on comp.unix.bsd.netbsd.misc, but received no
replies.  This problem must not affect too many people.

> BTW my I have one single 5.25" floppy drive in my system FWIW.

This is something we have in common: our fd0 is a 5.25", 1200KB drive.
Though I don't see how this could matter to the upgrade kernel.  Hmm,
maybe I'll swap the 1440KB drive to fd0 and see what happens.