Subject: Re: COM2 help
To: Jaime Kikpole <jk7023@cnsvax.albany.edu>
From: Rick Byers <rickb@iaw.on.ca>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 01/30/1996 16:40:00
I had this same problem a few weeks ago.  Many kind people wrote to tell me
to make sure the line in /etc/ttys has the "local" flag.  That fixed the
problem for me.

I hope this helps,
                Rick

At 12:26 AM 1/28/96 -0400, Jaime Kikpole wrote:
>        With an old 2400 baud modem on my "COM2" port, as MS-DOS would call
>it, I have tried "tip com2" and "cu -l /dev/tty01" (com2 is configured in
>/etc/remote) and received the errors "Device not configured" and "Line in
>use" repetedly.
>
>        I checked out the two tips that this list provided before.  Those were:
>(make sure this is in /usr/src/sys/arch/i386/conf/<machine name>...)
>com2 at isa? port 0x3e8 irq 5
>
>and
>
>/dev/tty01 is owned by uucp, is writeable and readable by the account that
>I'm using (root, which is listed by /etc/groups as in the wheel group.)
>
>        These didn't lead to anything new.  :(  I checked in
>/var/log/messages, like suggested, and found a mention of "com0" but no
>mention of "com2".  The whole log seemed to consist of logins and boots and
>halts, only.
>
>        I was hoping there would be some more ideas of things to check on
>or try.  As always, any help is appreciated.  Thanks.
>
>                                                                Jaime

Rick Byers                                      Internet Access Worldwide
rickb@iaw.on.ca                                System Admin, Tech Support
Welland, Ontario, Canada                                    (905)714-1400
http://www.iaw.on.ca/rickb/                         http://www.iaw.on.ca/