Subject: NetBSD 1.1 will not boot from floppy for me
To: None <netbsd-help@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Brett Lymn <blymn@awadi.com.AU>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 01/30/1996 14:50:38
Folks,
        I am running NetBSD 1.1 on a 486DX/33 with a bunch of generic
hardware.  The problem I have is that I cannot boot the 1.1 boot
disk - actually, this is a slight exageration - the floppy boots up
but when it gets to the point of changing the root device to be the
floppy the thing goes toes up.  This happens with the kc_adp-1.1,
install and upgr-1.1 disks.

The kernel seems to identify all my hardware ok apart from the fd0
(though it may be that the panic is too fast for the message to come
up).  Fortunately, I was running a late 1.1_alpha so I was able to get
the 1.1 kernel built and used the 1.0 boot disks to allow me to
install all the binary distributions.  Strangely enough the kernel on
my hard disk does find the floppy.  I tried doing a cut down config
and putting that on the boot floppy but the same thing happened.  I
tried changing the floppy disk controller from my esdi controller to
my adaptec 1542B but the same thing happens (yes, I did disable the
fdc on the other card....).

This is not really a show stopper but I would like to have some
bootable floppies just in case things go AFU.

BTW my I have one single 5.25" floppy drive in my system FWIW.

  "Upgrading your memory gives you MORE RAM!" - ad in MacWAREHOUSE catalogue.