Subject: Re: misc questions
To: None <stefan.monnier@lia.di.epfl.ch>
From: Mike Long <mike.long@analog.com>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 01/24/1996 11:08:56
>From: "Stefan Monnier" <stefan.monnier@lia.di.epfl.ch>
>Date: Wed, 24 Jan 1996 13:05:22 +0100

>- what is the content of the {arch}/security directories in the distributions
>  and where can I get it from outside the USA ?

The security/domestic directories contain

1) a libcrypt that can decrypt
2) Kerberos IV
3) ed and init modified to use (1).

I don't know where non-US users can get any of these.

>- what about ntp ? it doesn't seem to be part of the distribution.

You can get xntp from (I think) louie.udel.edu, and I've seen reports
that it builds 'out of the box'.

>- what's the use of all the .a files in /usr/lib that got installed when
>  I detarred the comp.tar.gz file ?

Non-shared versions of the libraries, for static linking.

>- I can't seem to find any rpc.statd or rpc.lockd. Are they simply missing
>  and should I hence just forget about NFS-locking ?

>- is there some way to do dynamic-loading (a la libdl or libdld) ?

You don't need a separate library for this, as in SunOS.  The
necessary functions are built into crt0.  #include <dlfcn.h>
--
Mike Long <mike.long@analog.com>           http://www.shore.net/~mikel