Subject: Re: Modem troubles
To: Rick Byers <rickb@iaw.on.ca>
From: Roland C Dowdeswell <roland@imrryr.org>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 01/17/1996 01:08:44
In message <m0tcHe5-000D2tC@mail>, Rick Byers writes:
>Hi,  sorry if this is really basic, but I'm having some troubles getting netbsd
>to access my modem.  It's on com3 IRQ 5.  I can't access it at all.
>
>The kernel config file has:
>com2 at isa? port 3e8 irq 5    which is all right.
>
>The tty02 file in /dev is set to major 8, minor 2.
>
>if i "echo ATDT >/dev/tty02" it just sits there (I can't even suspend),
>until I hit ^C, when it says "Interrupted System Call"
>
>The line in the /etc/remote file says:
>com2:dv=/dev/tty02:br#9600:at=hayes:
>
>if I "tip com2" it sits there for a while, and eventaully says "Link Down".
>If I "cu -l tty02 dir" it says Connected, but as soon as I hit a key, it
>says "write: Input/output error".
>
>And ideas?  I'm probably missing something simple, but I can't find anything
>in any text files, or man pages, about what I should be doing.
>
>Thanks a lot,
>        Rick
>Rick Byers                                      Internet Access Worldwide
>rickb@iaw.on.ca                                System Admin, Tech Support
>Welland, Ontario, Canada                                    (905)714-1400
>http://www.iaw.on.ca/rickb/                         http://www.iaw.on.ca/

Well, I could suggest what I did to get around the problem.

Get kermit.  <grin>  I have had quite a few problems with tip/cu, after
a certain time.  (I cannot remember, somewhere between NetBSD/0.9 and 1.1)
I cannot track down the exact time, though, since I got slip working
under 0.9, and then got ethernet.  Then recently -- perhaps two months
before the release of 1.1 -- I had problems.

But I cannot be certain that I was using all the same steps, since it
had been over a year since I was trying to twiddle with a modem.

But kermit did seem to solve my problems, and I would suggest that
you get that and try it, it may work where the others have failed.
I forgot the exact location of kermit, and unfortunately the only
copy of that I have is on the other end of a modem line.

later
roland
======
http://www.imrryr.org/