Subject: Re: Booting NetBSD
To: None <gregory@skatter.usask.ca>
From: Mike Long <mike.long@analog.com>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 01/15/1996 12:53:15
>Date: Mon, 15 Jan 1996 05:48:35 -0600 (CST)
>From: Greg Brady <gregory@skatter.usask.ca>

>... When I copy the kernel using the "copy_kernel" command, and
>instruct it that my root partition is wd1a, everything seems to work
>properly.  When I reboot, it always boots me back into DOS (well...Win95,
>but well all know that's just a kludge sitting on top of DOS).  I was
>wondering if you could give me some insight into what's wrong here.  Do I
>have to allocate space on drive 0 to boot into NetBSD?

You need to install a boot selector, which is a bit of code that
replaces the default DOS MBR.  I use booteasy 1.4; use the filename
bteasy14.zip in your Archie search.  Instead of blindly booting the
active partition on drive 0 (your Lose95 partition), booteasy lets you
select the drive and partition to boot.  Another commonly used boot
selector is OS-BS, but I don't know much about it.
--
Mike Long <mike.long@analog.com>           http://www.shore.net/~mikel