Subject: named/route/resolv.conf weirdness
To: None <netbsd-help@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Dave Nelson <David.Nelson@alz.org>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 01/11/1996 13:53:50
  (This is on NetBSD/i386 1.0; waiting for the 1.1 patches before upgrading.)

        I've come across a strange thing that I can't completely figure
out.  I'm setting up one of my 486 boxes to be my primary nameserver,
previously it just resolved to another nameserver. Named is working fine.
I've been through that many times before.  The weird thing is that whenever
I boot the machine the "route add $hostname localhost" line in
/etc/netstart falls over complaining that the route already exists.
Apparently, the ifconfig of the loopback interface does some additional
magic when the localhost is also nameserver and adds this route.

        Can anyone shed some light on what is happening here?  I took
a look through the appropriate mailing list archives and while I found
some similar questions, I couldn't find anything explaining or
solving the problem. I "solved" the problem by just commenting out the
route add line in netstart since it seems to be unnecessary in this
case, but I was just wondering if there is something I
overlooked/misconfigured.  I'd at least like to understand what is going
on here.

/dcn