Subject: Re: vipw done. Now what?
To: None <berke@panix.com>
From: Max Bell <mbell@europa.com>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 01/09/1996 18:08:00
>From: Wayne Berke <berke@panix.com>

>Spare me your "spare mes".  Any shell that cannot comfortably escape double
>quotes belongs in the dumpster as far as scripting is concerned.
>	% echo "I think the \"$SHELL\" is the best"
>	Unmatched ".

Try:
	echo I think the \"$SHELL\" is the best
or
	set quote = \"
	echo "I think the $quote$SHELL$quote is the best"

It can escape quotes perfectly well, just not within quotes.  While this
behavior is not ideal, it is easy to work around, which is more than I can
say for Korn's obnoxious failure to execute its .profile when invoked either
via rsh or setuid -- as required by old cron implementations.

>Thank you perl for not borrowing that much.

Max