Subject: Re: /usr/include/sys/ptrace.h missing PT_READ_U?
To: Brook Milligan <brook@trillium.NMSU.Edu>
From: J.T. Conklin <jconklin@netcom.com>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 01/08/1996 23:35:56
> I am trying to compile gdb v4.15.1 on a netbsd 1.1/i386 box.
> Everything works fine except for a missing definition of PT_READ_U as
> a parameter to ptrace(2).

> However, /usr/include/sys/ptrace.h does not define PT_READ_U (in fact,
> nothing in /usr/include/sys/*.h does).  I am confused, especially
> given the fact that the gdb documentation mentions native support on
> the i386.  What gives?
>
> Any pointers welcome.  Thanks.

The problem is that sometime between 1.0 and 1.1, NetBSD was changed to
use PT_GETREGS / PT_SETREGS for getting and setting registers.  Our own
gdb was updated, but the changes were not integrated into the FSF
version.

I am currently doing the work necessary so that gdb 4.16 will compile
out of the box when it is released.

	--jtc