Subject: Re: vipw done. Now what?
To: None <netbsd-help@NetBSD.ORG>
From: James Burton <james@Snark.apana.org.au>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 01/07/1996 13:16:34
Hi Giles,

> Perhaps, James, you could post the missing utilities (make-password,
> fix_skeleton_file, setquota) along with your set of skeleton files?

OK the skeleton files are in /usr/share/users/...

here are the files. .cshrc & .login I wont send since they are the same
as /usr/share/.cshrc & /usr/share/.login. .elm/elmrc is there to make ELM
pick up a signature file .plan & public_html/index.html are just prototype
files so that it is easy for a new user to figure out what to put in there
so that it works. Ditto for .signature

James

root@ArtWorks::/usr/share/skel/users [148] ls -lR
total 14
-rw-r--r--  1 bin  bin  576 Jun  1  1995 .cshrc
drw-r--r--  2 bin  bin  512 Jul 30 18:54 .elm
-rw-r--r--  1 bin  bin  238 Jun 17  1995 .login
-rw-r--r--  1 bin  bin   24 Jun 17  1995 .logout
-rw-r--r--  1 bin  bin   38 Mar 13  1995 .plan
-rw-r--r--  1 bin  bin   32 Mar 13  1995 .signature
drw-r--r--  2 bin  bin  512 Mar 13  1995 public_html

./.elm:
total 14
-rw-r--r--  1 bin  bin  6869 Jul 30 18:54 elmrc

./public_html:
total 2
-rw-r--r--  1 root  wheel  102 Jun 14  1995 index.html

-----.logout
msend -s
echo "Goodbye"

-----.plan
The .plan file of %real

EMail %email

-----.signature
%real
EMail: %email
WWW  : %www

-----index.html
<title>%real's Home Page</title>
<h1>%real's Home Page</h1>
<hr>

-----.elm
#@(#)$Id: elmrc-info,v 5.10 1993/08/23 02:53:52 syd Exp $
# Elm Version 2.4
# For yes/no settings with ?, ON means yes, OFF means no

shell
# The shell to use for shell escapes

fullname
# The full user name for outbound mail

maildir
# where to save my mail to, default directory is "Mail"

tmpdir
# where to place temporary files, default directory is "/tmp"

receivedmail
# where to save received messages to, default file is "=received"

editor
# what editor to use ("none" means simulate Berkeley Mail)

alteditor
# name of editor to use for replies that have text

easyeditor
# name of editor for ~e command (when editor="builtin")

visualeditor
# name of editor for ~v command (when editor="builtin")

escape
# the character to use in the builtin editor for entering commands

sentmail
# where to save copies of outgoing mail to, default file is "=sent"

calendar
# where to save calendar entries

sortby
# how to sort folders, "Reverse Sent" by default

aliassortby
# how to sort the alias list, "Name" by default
print
# how to print a message ('%s' is the filename)

attribution
# attribution string for replies ('%s' is the author of original message)

prefix
# prefix sequence for indenting included message text in outgoing messages...

weedout
# what headers I DON'T want to see, ever.

bounceback
# threshold for bouncing copies of remote uucp messages...
# zero = disable function.

timeout
# Set the main prompt timeout for resynching...

autocopy
# automatically copy message being replied to into buffer?

copy
# save a copy of all outbound messages?

resolve
# emulate the mailx message increment mode (only increment after
# something has been 'done' to a message, either saved or deleted,
# as opposed to simply each time something is touched)?

weed
# enable the weedout list to be read?

noheader
# when messages are copied into the outbound buffer, don't include headers?

titles
# display message title when displaying pages of message?

savename
# save messages, incoming and outbound, by login name of sender/recipient?

forcename
# save outbound messages by login name of sender/recipient even if the
# associated folder doesn't already exist?

movepage
# when using the page commands (+ - <NEXT> <PREV>) change the current
# message pointer...?

pointnew
# start up by pointing to the first new message received, if possible?

signature ~/.signature
# ".signature" file to append to outbound messages...

localsignature
# local ".signature" file to append to appropriate messages...
~/.signature

remotesignature
# remote ".signature" file to append to appropriate messages...

sigdashes
# do we want dashes above signatures? (News 2.11 compatibility and convention)

alwayskeep
# should the default be to keep unread messages in the incoming mailbox?

alwaysstore
# should the default be to store read messages to the "received" folder?

alwaysdelete
# should the default be to delete messages we've marked for deletion?

pager
# program to use for displaying messages ('builtin' is recommended)

promptafter
# prompt for a command after the external pager exits?

builtinlines
# This is used to determine if the builtin pager should be used on some
# messages even if you would usually use an external pager program.
# There are two ways of determining whether the builtin pager should be
# used. If you want any message that is shorter than "n" lines to use the
# internal pager, set the parameter to "n".  If you want the builtin
# pager to be used if the message is "m" lines shorter than the number of
# lines on your screen set the parameter to be "-m".  Setting the
# parameter to zero will result in the message always being sent through
# your external pager.

keepempty
# should we keep folders from which all messages are deleted?

keypad
# are we running on an HP terminal and want HOME, PREV, NEXT, etc...?

softkeys
# are we running on an HP terminal and want softkeys available too?
# (this implies "keypad=ON" too)

alternatives
# alternative addresses that I could receive mail from (usually a
# forwarding mailbox) and don't want to have listed...

forms
# do we want to be able to mail out AT&T Mail Forms?

userlevel
# are we good at it?  0=beginner, 1=intermediate, 2+ = expert!

names
# just show the names when expanding aliases?

arrow
# should we use the "->" rather than the inverse video bar?

menu
# should we display the three-line 'mini' menu?

metoo
# would you like a copy of a message you send to an alias you are on?

ask
# should the message disposition questions be displayed(ON) or
# auto-answered(OFF) with the default answers when we resync or
# change folders?

askcc
# would you like to be asked for Carbon-Copies information each msg?

precedences
# list of delivery precedences allowed, or empty to allow anything
# precedence may be followed by optional ":priority" specification

charset
# name of Character Set used with MIME text/plain Content-type# US-ASCII is default. Be aware that if you use a national charset
# elm probably needs metamail to display US-ASCII.

displaycharset
# name of Character Set which the display supports. This is independent
# of the above "charset".

compatcharsets
# list of Character Sets, which are more or less a superset of US-ASCII
# so we know that we can display messages with charset=US-ASCII without
# help of metamail

configoptions
# list of options that can be configured at the "o)ptions" screen

confirmappend
# Should elm always ask the user to confirm before it appends
# messages to any existing file?
# This is used for both folders in the user's mail directory
# and ordinary files.

confirmcreate
# Should elm always ask the user to confirm before it creates# any new files?
# This is used for both folders in the user's mail directory
# and ordinary files.

confirmfiles
# Should elm ask for confirmation before it appends a message
# to an existing file that is not a folder in the user's Mail
# directory?
# This is used for ordinary files only and does not affect
# folders in the user's mail directory.

confirmfolders
# Should elm ask for confirmation before it creates a new folder
# in the user's Mail directory?
# This is used only for folders in the user's mail directory and
# does not affect ordinary files.

usetite
# would you like to use termcap/terminfo ti/te entries?

readmsginc
# Value by which message count is incremented while reading a new mailbox.
# Setting this value to a number larger than one will speed up the time it
# takes to read a large mailbox when using a slow terminal.

sleepmsg
# time in seconds which Elm will wait after displaying a transient message
# and before erasing it.  Can be 0 or positive integer.

textencoding
# Type of encoding to be put into the MIME Content-Transfer-Encoding header.
# Usual values are 7bit or 8bit.
# NOTE: Elm will not encode your message based on this variable.

--
James Burton, Melbourne, Australia.|Every jumbled pile of person has a
James@Snark.apana.org.au           |thinking part that wonders what the