Subject: Re: vipw done. Now what?
To: Jaime Kikpole <jk7023@cnsvax.albany.edu>
From: Hume Smith <hclsmith@localhost.isisnet.com>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 01/06/1996 00:14:42
> >  ckane::101:100::0:0:Charlie:/users/ckane:/bin/csh
>
>         Hrm.  No * after "ckane:" and before ":101:100"?  All my entries
> have it in my passwd and master.passwd files.  Also, what's the "::0:0:"
> mean?

no * means no password.  if you have the crypt stuff installed,
you should be setting the password by some other means.

which reminds me; from just where -is- a Canadian legally safe to
get the stuff?

the ::0:0: are the class, change time, and expiry time, according
to man 5 passwd (hint hint :)

> >Maybe a generic book on UNIX system administration would be awfully
> >handy, eh?

yes, its too bad there're so many of them and they're so expensive,
i can't figure out which one to buy.  and they're not common around
here in the bookstores for "browsing", i need reviews.

>         Got one.  :)  Unfortunately, its missing stuff and has a couple
> mistakes.  For example, it said that you type "adduser" to add a user.  Can
> anyone recommend a good book on this?

on many UNIXes (like the UNISYS SYS V i had two systems ago) there -is-
an adduser command.  i wish someone would write one; while it's not
hard to add a user, it gets tedious after the first fifty :)

or, someone could tell me the syntax and semantics, and i'd write one.
(though it might be in tclsh :)

--
Hume Smith   <hclsmith@isisnet.com>   NetBSD r00lz :)

Real Americans don't carry cash.  Their police may steal it.