Subject: Re: vipw done. Now what?
To: Kwast, Jeroen <jkt@GESASDSC.NT.GETRONICS.NL>
From: Kwast, Jeroen <jkt@GESASDSC.NT.GETRONICS.NL>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 01/04/1996 09:42:00
>        OK, I used vipw to add several users.  I edited (with vi)
>/etc/group.  I mkdir /usr/homes and then mkdir /usr/homes/jaime,
>/usr/homes/sarah, and so on.  What do I set these directories to, using
>chmod?  I know that I have to chown them to a user.  I think that I've got
>everything, in fact, but when I login as one of these new users, I can't
>see any results from "ls" while in that directory.  (There are files there,
>too.)

Add groups as needed by editing /etc/group
Use vipw to change the password list + master database.

create a user home dir by mkdir /home/username and copying a few start files
like .profile or .login etc.

You can always use a skel dir to copy.

then chown username.groupname /home/username + initial files and your done.

Substitute username for the user's name and groupname for the user's initial
group.

>        Also, when I compile a new kernel (in a few days) what tips would
>you suggest?

Nothing, compiling the kernel is very easy!

>        The stty command worked great.  Thanks.  :)  Now if only I could
>get my hands on tcsh and bash shells.....  Anyone know of Unix FTP sites
>for basic software?

ftp.src.doc.ic.ac.uk

And look at the mirror list to use the nearest ftp  site .

>                                                                Thanks!
>                                                                Jaime

No problem,

Jeroen.