Subject: Re: vipw done. Now what?
To: None <jk7023@cnsvax.albany.edu>
From: Mike Long <mike.long@analog.com>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 01/03/1996 13:00:51
>Date: Wed, 03 Jan 1996 01:33:31 -0400
>From: jk7023@cnsvax.albany.edu (Jaime Kikpole)
>
>        OK, I used vipw to add several users.  I edited (with vi)
>/etc/group.  I mkdir /usr/homes and then mkdir /usr/homes/jaime,
>/usr/homes/sarah, and so on.  What do I set these directories to, using
>chmod?  I know that I have to chown them to a user.  I think that I've got
>everything, in fact, but when I login as one of these new users, I can't
>see any results from "ls" while in that directory.  (There are files there,
>too.)

Directories need to be readable (chmod a+r) in order for ls to work
properly on them.  Usually home directories are either mode 755 or
mode 700, depending on the local paranoia level.

ls won't list files starting with a period unless the -a or -A flags
are used.  See ls(1).

>        Also, when I compile a new kernel (in a few days) what tips would
>you suggest?

Start with a copy of one of the GENERIC configs.  Delete all devices
that aren't in your system, and strip out filesystem types and other
options that you don't plan to use (e.g. NFS).  Change the 'config
netbsd' line to match your root and swap devices; use the other config
files as examples.

>        The stty command worked great.  Thanks.  :)  Now if only I could
>get my hands on tcsh and bash shells.....  Anyone know of Unix FTP sites
>for basic software?

Bash can be obtained from any FSF site, such as prep.ai.mit.edu.

Tcsh used to be available on a Cornell machine, but that went away and
AFAIK no replacement has appeared.
--
Mike Long <mike.long@analog.com>           http://www.shore.net/~mikel