Subject: Re: vipw done. Now what?
To: Jaime Kikpole <jk7023@cnsvax.albany.edu>
From: Hume Smith <hclsmith@localhost.isisnet.com>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 01/03/1996 11:49:31
>         OK, I used vipw to add several users.  I edited (with vi)
> /etc/group.  I mkdir /usr/homes and then mkdir /usr/homes/jaime,
> /usr/homes/sarah, and so on.  What do I set these directories to, using
> chmod?  I know that I have to chown them to a user.  I think that I've got
> everything, in fact, but when I login as one of these new users, I can't
> see any results from "ls" while in that directory.  (There are files there,
> too.)

if the file names all start with ., you'll need the a switch on ls
to see them.

the directories should be readable (to be able to find
a file), executable (to be able to run ls on them), and writeable (to
be able to add/delete/rename files).  the user will obviously
likely want these permissions himself; and wil likely want
to deny at least write to group and other.  if he wants to
be secret but let people access certain files by name, he'll
deny x; if he wants nobody in (but root), deny both x and r.

i usually chgrp the directory to the user's default group, as well.

>         The stty command worked great.  Thanks.  :)  Now if only I could
> get my hands on tcsh and bash shells.....  Anyone know of Unix FTP sites
> for basic software?

prep.ai.mit.edu

--
Hume Smith   <hclsmith@isisnet.com>   NetBSD r00lz :)

Real Americans don't carry cash.  Their police may steal it.