Subject: Re: sendmail errors when idle with no users
To: Jaime Kikpole <jk7023@cnsvax.albany.edu>
From: David Brownlee <david@mono.org>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 01/03/1996 11:26:34
On Wed, 3 Jan 1996, Jaime Kikpole wrote:

>         My very new system (not even a personalized kernel, yet) puts up
> error messages every so often while no users are logged in.  It says
> something like:

> hostname (<hostname>) does not seem to exist!: No such file or directory

	check that 'hostname' is in /etc/hosts, (or in the DNS is you have an
	/etc/resolv.conf)

>         Any ideas?  Only the things in <>s are variables.  The rest is a
> quote.  Could it be cron trying to send out messages to user root?

	bingo :)

>         While I'm on the subject, how do I set it up to be able to use mail
> programs?  I'm assuming that all a NetBSD installation gives is "mail"
> itself.  If I set up various directories, is it also set up for pine and
> elm?

	yup - just drop in pine or elm & away you go.

		  David/abs 		(david@southern.com)

+44 181 888 8949 System Manager, Southern Studios Ltd, Box 59, London N22 1AR
     >=- Microsoft asks you where you want to go. Unix gets you there -=<
        <<< Monochrome - Largest UK Internet BBS - telnet mono.org >>>