Subject: panic on no init, but there is....
To: None <netbsd-help@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Jaime Kikpole <jk7023@cnsvax.albany.edu>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 01/01/1996 20:41:43
        I just downlaoded NetBSD a week or so ago and have had quite a
number of problems since.  Most of them I've figured out something about,
but this one has me absolutely stuck.  On the i386 port, I used the install
program, booting off of fd0.  Since I didn't have any floppies that fit
into fd1 (5.25 inch drive), I did what the instructions said to do with the
case of only one drive.  "halt", any key, boot the kernel-copy disk, don't
flip disks but do press a key to continue.

        At this point, the hard drive was not recognized.  At least, it
never booted correctly.  I've since learned the mount command and tried all
sorts of things.  What I've managed to do at this point is "mount -v
/dev/fd1a /mnt2" and "mount -v /dev/wd0a /mnt" followed by "cp /mnt2/netbsd
/mnt/netbsd".  This gave me a kernel on my hard drive.  (I think.)

        At this point, it would "panic: no init". near the very end of a
boot-up.  (Just after the announcement that wd0 is the root.)  I have no
idea what this means.  However, I did find a /init on the floppies, so I:
        mount -v /dev/wd0a /mnt
        mount -v /dev/fd1a /mnt2
        cp /mnt2/init /mnt/init

        Now, when I mount the hard drive, I see a /netbsd and a /init.  I
_suppose_ that these are what it needs to boot up from the hard drive that
I was missing at first.  However, I _still_ get a "panic: no init" followed
by a dump message, which counts slowly downwards from 8 and then reboots.

        Any and all help on this would be appreciated.  (I just bought a
486 to install BSD on.  I'd like to actually get some real use out of it!
;)  If this doesn't work, I'd rather sell it than use MS-DOS/Windows.)

                                                        Thanks in advance,
                                                        Jaime