Subject: Re: mount -t msdos does not work during 1.1 upgrade
To: None <netbsd-help@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Alex R.N. Wetmore <alexw+@andrew.cmu.edu>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 11/29/1995 19:17:38
Excerpts from internet.computing.netbsd.netbsd-help: 29-Nov-95 Re: mount
-t msdos does not.. by Mike Long@analog.com
> If you are still using one of the INSTALL kernels, then msdosfs won't
> work because it's not compiled into the kernel.  Boot with the
> appropriate GENERIC kernel for your system and try again.

Note: I haven't looked at 1.1 install stuff yet at all (waiting until next
semester when I'll have some free time), so this email might be offbase.

Why isn't msdosfs in the INSTALL kernel?  Its pretty small and is really
useful for doing installs on some systems (notably laptops, where quite
often you can use laplink to get files to a DOS partition a lot more
quickly and easily then you could with zmodem or floppies).  Its useful
on other systems too that have their ethernet cards installed on weird
ports that require a kernel build before getting the net up and running...

alex