Subject: Re: FS questions
To: None <graphix@iastate.edu>
From: Eric S. Hvozda <hvozda@netcom.com>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 11/21/1995 07:08:50
On Mon, 20 Nov 1995 16:10:24 CST  Kent Vander Velden wrote:

>   I would like to be able to access the win95 partition from NetBSD.  I
> assume this can be done with a msdosfs mount but if I remember correctly
> there where problems writing to a msdosfs from NetBSD.  Is this the
> case any longer?

A number of bugs have been fixed with msdosfs, but I haven't really
hammered it yet (ie I'm still mounting partitions ro).  When I get the
chance, I'll have two tar(1)'s write to the partition, that always
made the bug rear it's ugly head for me.  Bascially YMMV...

>   A problem that I had when NetBSD was first installed on this computer
> was that I could not mount the MSDOS drive that was already there.  When
> I asked about this I was told that I needed to create a NetBSD disklabel
> even though the entire drive was devoted to MSDOS.  I could not create
> the partition at that time since it would mean that part of the MSDOS
> partition would be overwritten.  This is something that would be nice to
> avoid this time.  How should I prepare the drive?

There are instructions floating around in the archives from
Charles on how to use the 1-N (where N is the SPT) free sectors
between the MBR and the beginning of the 1st partition if it's a DOS
partition.  Boot managers like OS-BS Beta and BootEasy use this space
as well, Caveat User!  Dunno if the slop space is still there with
Win95.  pfdisk will be able to tell you...

>   Also, can one selectively boot between NetBSD and Win95 without using a
> disk?  Much like the OS/2 boot manager or Linux's Lilo?

I use OS-BS 1.35 myself; I like it.  There's a slew of boot managers...

>   If it matters all drives in this senerio are SCSI.  If there is
> already documentation related to the above questions please direct me to
> that.

Most of it can probbaly be found in the FAQ, but I haven't read it for
awhile.  I think Dave indicated a new issue was coming soon
(newxt week or so)...