Subject: Re: Off topic... help wanted anyway (scsi formatting)
To: Michael L. VanLoon -- HeadCandy.com <michaelv@HeadCandy.com>
From: Brett Lymn <blymn@awadi.com.AU>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 11/16/1995 10:47:18
According to Michael L. VanLoon -- HeadCandy.com:

>>If you have a PC with DOS and an adaptec card, adaptec put a format
>>utility on their ftp site which you could use.
>
>BusLogic cards also have this (at least my BT747s does).  The only
>difference is that you have to get into DOS debug and call the ROM
>entry point.  It's in the manual.  (A DOS boot floppy with a copy of
>debug.exe is all that should be required.)

The older adaptec cards can do that too - I have done this on my
adaptec 1542.  I think the entry point is dc00:3 or dc00:5 cannot
remember which, oh yeah if you have moved the bios address from the
default then replace the dc00 with the correct address.

The newer cards allow you to press a key on boot.

"It's fifteen hundred miles to Ankh-Morpork" he said.  "We've got
three hundred and sixty three elephants, fifty carts of forage, the
monsoon's about to break and we're wearing ... we're wearing ... sort
of things, like glass, only dark... dark glass things on our eyes..."
        - Terry Pratchett "Moving Pictures".