Subject: Re: getting the svgalib to run
To: Brett Lymn <blymn@awadi.com.AU>
From: Frank van der Linden <frank@fwi.uva.nl>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 11/14/1995 12:50:05
Quoting Brett Lymn,

> I have xdoom running fine (except there is no sound...
> anyone got a working sndserver????).

Sound will currently not work for Linux binaries (this is documented in
the compat_linux manual page). It will be at some point in the future,
but it won't be in 1.1. The Linux (voxware) sound drivers have a different
interface.

>  when I try to run it the thing bombs out when it is
> starting up saying that it cannot get I/O permissions (or words to
> that effect).  I have tried running the thing as root but still no go.

I suppose you do have pcvt compiled into the kernel? I would guess so,
otherwise you won't get to this point. Are you sure the binary has
no setuid bits that take the root permissions away from you again?

Also, SVGAlib tries to open /dev/mem to mmap() video memory. This will
fail if you are running in secure mode; you might have to recompile
your kernel with the INSECURE option.

- Frank