Subject: Re: Audio CD Whoas!
To: Brad Colbert <bcolbert@gotham.accurate-automation.com>
From: Ken Hornstein <kenh@cmf.nrl.navy.mil>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 11/02/1995 14:09:46
>   I know some of you out there may be tired of me asking this (Mike), but
>   our mail link was down for some time.  Is there anyone out there that
>   is successfully using a Sony 76S 4x CD-ROM player and playing audio
>   CD's?  (its connected to a Buslogic 445C BTW)
>
>   I keep getting something like... cd0 (bt: 0,3,0) invalid command (something
>   close to this).  Anyways, using workman I can read the track information
>   and I can eject it, but I can not play it?  It works fine under DOS but
>   not NetBSD (I hate when that happens ;) ).

Something I discovered about CD-ROMs and music a little while back.

It turns out there are two types of commands that can be used to play music
on SCSI CD-ROM drives.  One says "Start at this track n, end at track n".
The other says, "Start at minute/second n, end at minute/second n".

For some reason which escapes me, some CD-ROM drives only implement the
play minute/second command, _not_ the "play track" command.  I discovered
this was the case with my NEC CD-ROM.

I suspect that workman is using the "play track" command, and your CD-ROM
drive doesn't support it.  But anyone else's guess is as good as mine.

--Ken