Subject: Re: host.deny help
To: Jacques Hugo <jacques@linkage.ctech.ac.za>
From: Rob Windsor <windsor@punk.hedgehog.com>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 11/02/1995 00:58:31
Verily did Jacques Hugo write:

> Hi to all ...

> Help would be appreciated here please

> Can someone give me a copy of a /etc/hosts.deny and /etc/hosts.allow files
> please.  I'm playing around with this script :

> fingerd : ALL : echo "finger request from %d@%h" >> /var/log/finger.log; \
> 		finger -l @%h >> /var/log/finger.log

Well, for one, I don't know of hosts.{deny,allow} were intended to be this
robust.  Also, sounds like you're not looking in the right place for your
finger logging.

Check your mail logfiles.  TCP-Wrappers uses a default facility of MAIL
(those silly people).  Your best bet is to recompile tcp_wrappers to use
the DAEMON or one of the LOCAL facilities (check out
http://www.warped.com/~windsor/netbsd/install-notes/), set up your
/etc/syslog.conf if needed (don't forget to `kill -HUP <syslog-pid>`),
and then enjoy the logging of finger connections to your machine.

-- Rob
Internet: windsor@pobox.com      Life: Rob@Sunnyvale.California.USA.Earth
"Da Web": http://pobox.com/~windsor/

"Ain't much distance 'tween a pat on the back and a kick in the pants."
    -- David Lee Roth (1990), `The Dogtown Shuffle'