Subject: Re: Seagate ST-15230N Hawk 4
To: None <wmorgart@wanda.pond.com>
From: Eric S. Hvozda <hvozda@netcom.com>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 10/31/1995 20:04:23
On Tue, 31 Oct 1995 18:56:48 -0500  "William S. Morgart" wrote:

> I have a question on the number of heads/sectors-per-track/cylinders
> to use with this drive under NetBSD 1.0 (386 version if that matters).
>
> Since this is a Zone Recording type drive, i.e. variable number of
> sectors per track are the numbers in seagate's specs (at the end of
> the mail) for the drive the ones to use for making an entry in
> /etc/partition. More simply are 19 heads, 111 sectors per track, and
> 3992 cylinders going to work?

It might.  Not sure under NetBSD tho...

I recently put a pair of these in the 266 Mhz AXPs at work.  I had far less
info than the spec sheet you included.  I guestimated how many blocks
were on the disk (guess high), and disklabel(8) complained loudly that
I was X block beyond the end of media :-)  After I established
the total block count, I figured the average SPT and used that.  I think
mine was closer to 117 or so.  YMMV...

All this was under OSF 3.2C; I'd more more than happy to mail you
/etc/disktab entry for the Hawk if you're interested...