Subject: Re: Installation problems
To: Scott Reynolds <scottr@edsi.org>
From: dennis <dennis@etinc.com>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 10/30/1995 12:57:45
>On Fri, 27 Oct 1995, Dave Huang wrote:
>
>> The only time I've gotten that error is when I ran the ISA bus at 12MHz,
>> which seemed to work fine for MSDOS, but gave me numerous "lost
>> interrupt" and "timeout" errors under NetBSD. Reducing the ISA bus clock
>> to 8MHz made everything work just great.
>
>I suppose it's worth noting that ISA wasn't designed to run above 8MHz.
>Some hardware, even most, will let you get away with it, but you can get
>into trouble really quickly.

Yes....12mhz is a special number...10 is almost always ok but when you get
above it you get into a situation where normal bus buffer propagation delays
cause
failures. You are probably getting I/O failures if you're missing
interrupts....interrupts
themselves have nothing to do with the bus speed, so you can either lower
the bus
speed or add an I/O wait state. Lowering the bus speed is the safest bet.

Dennis
Emerging Technologies, Inc.      http://www.etinc.com

Synchronous Communications Cards and Routers For
Discriminating Tastes. 56k to T1 and beyond. Frame
Relay, PPP, HDLC, and X.25