Subject: Differences in speed between outbound and Inboutn traffic with ppp
To: None <netbsd-help@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Len Burns <lburns@sasquatch.com>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 10/17/1995 04:26:55
I just got the other end of our ppp link upgraded to v34 and am now
noticing something I have not seen before.  Using ftp I am seeing that
outbound traffic appears to be about 25% faster than incoming.  On one
connection I tested a number of times, a put fwas showing about 5700
bps while a get was at best 4500.  Separate from the reports of ftp,
the transfer time is clearly faster on the puts.  I am using
NetBSD-1.0 i386 on a 486 66, ppp2.1.1 and Microcom modems on both
ends of the link.  Currently I have mru set to 1024, mtu is being
determined by the system on the other end and according to netstat is
1002.  Any ideas as to what might be causing this would be most
welcomed.  Thanks.

-Len
lburns@sasquatch.com