Subject: Re: More SoundBlaster (16)
To: Wayne Berke <berke@panix.com>
From: Mark Willey <willey@hillres142.cc.purdue.edu>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 10/13/1995 01:29:39
Wayne Berke writes:

> In message <9510080042.AA05771@cthulhu>, Mike Long writes:
> > >From: bcolbert@aac.accurate-automation.com (Brad Colbert)
> > >Date: Sat, 7 Oct 1995 12:01:17 -0400 (EDT)
> >
> > >      SoundBlaster 16 (the lame one that has software settings)
> > >
> > >   Ok I have tried cat'ting an .au file to my /dev/audio device but it
> > >   is all broken up.  I think there may be a problem with the driver?  Are
> > >   there any fixes?
> >
> > The Soundblaster driver was originally written for the SB and SBPro.
> > It doesn't support the SB16 very well.
>
> However, some people have reported that SB16 does work to some degree (not
> in 16 bit mode however) under -current.  Can anyone else confirm this?

My SB16 'works' under -current.  However, the sound output is awful, to put
it bluntly.  And I cannot get it to read too well, either.  The biggest
problem is a lack of tools that can use the audio.  I have been doing
everything by redirecting /dev/audio.  Anyone know how to use the sound
system more effectively?

I think my symptom is the same as the gent who has his sound 'all broken
up'.

I find software called 'VOXware', NAS, rplay, play, xmmixer, and stuff like
that, but cannot figure out how to get it to work with my system.

Mark