Subject: Re: gated, routed, etc... help!
To: Rob Windsor <windsor@synopsys.com>
From: Ken Hornstein <kenh@cmf.nrl.navy.mil>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 10/07/1995 13:03:02
>Soon, I'm going to be using my NetBSD machine to route from my lil' home
>network to the rest of the world.  This is a bit of a new area for me, and
>I'd happily entertain e-mail suggesting how I set up things.
>
>I can't afford the major bucks to invest in a router, and I figured that
>there's no real need for two machines (my NetBSD machine and my roomate's
>Solaris machine).
>[...]
>I will need to route from sl0 (ISP side) to ed0 (my network).  Any
>suggestions, config files, ... are welcome.  (help!)

With only two machines, I've always found static routes to be a lot easier
(in places with simple network topolgies, I've always preferred static
routes over using gated or routed).

Basically, what you want to do is set your default route on NetBSD machine
to point to the machine on the other side of your slip interface.  You
can do this by putting the address of the machine in /etc/mygate (look
in /etc/netstart for more info).

If you use ppp, you can have pppd create a default route automagically
when the interface goes up.  I don't know if bsddip supports a similar
thing.

You then want to have all your other machines set their default route to
point to the NetBSD machine.  I don't know if Solaris supports
/etc/defaultrouter like SunOS did, but a quick grep of "default" thru
/etc/rc*.d should point you in the right direction.

--Ken