Subject: gated, routed, etc... help!
To: None <netbsd-help@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Rob Windsor <windsor@Synopsys.COM>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 10/07/1995 00:21:11
Heyyo,

Soon, I'm going to be using my NetBSD machine to route from my lil' home
network to the rest of the world.  This is a bit of a new area for me, and
I'd happily entertain e-mail suggesting how I set up things.

I can't afford the major bucks to invest in a router, and I figured that
there's no real need for two machines (my NetBSD machine and my roomate's
Solaris machine).

So, the parameters are:

I have full control of a class C address space (yes, I couldn't get just 10
addresses), I will do my own primary DNS, and the ISP will provide secondary.
I've already invested in DNS/BIND literature, and have a little experience
doing this, so it's not a major concern.

My NetBSD PC will do routing, and I can assume that the configuration on
the ISP end will work properly.  (No ISP horror stories, please :> )

I will need to route from sl0 (ISP side) to ed0 (my network).  Any
suggestions, config files, ... are welcome.  (help!)

Also, would cslip be better than slip or no?  (What's a good slip package
considering that I'm going to be up 24/7?)

-- Rob
Internet:  windsor@synopsys.com
Life:      Rob@NCS.Synopsys.Mountain_View.California.USA.Earth

"Ain't much distance 'tween a pat on the back and a kick in the pants."
    -- David Lee Roth (1990), `The Dogtown Shuffle'