Subject: Re: Problems with new termcap
To: None <mike.long@analog.com>
From: Joao Carlos Mendes Luis <jonny@gaia.coppe.ufrj.br>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 10/01/1995 16:12:53
> >  Tracking the source for the problem, I discovered that it was the
> >termcap database the responsible.  When the telnet source terminal
> >was vt102, the default for cutcp, telnetd got a SIGSEGV.
>
> The termcap string was probably > 1023 characters long.

Hope this has been fixed in -current, anyway.  It's surely a bug,
and serious...  One could disregard some info from termcap,
show a warning or even something else, but coredump is surely not
a good response...

Oh, I tried to debug telnetd to find the SEGV point, but
gdb stack trace gave totally unreasonable responses.  And yes,
I have compiled it with debug info and linked it staticaly.
Probably the buffer for termcap data reading was in the stack,
and has been completely corrupted...

> >  I think all termcap files should be compatible, so this could
> >be a problem with libtermcap.  Anyone else got this problem ?
> >Is there a solution ?
>
> Get the termcap file from -current.

I got it, but it does not have the entry for cons25, the FreeBSD
console.  It has even Xenix and Linux ones (argh...).

Thanks anyway...

> --
> Mike Long <mike.long@analog.com>           http://www.shore.net/~mikel
> VLSI Design Engineer         finger mikel@shore.net for PGP public key
> Analog Devices, CPD Division          CCBF225E7D3F7ECB2C8F7ABB15D9BE7B
> Norwood, MA 02062 USA                assert(*this!=opinionof(Analog));

					Jonny

--
Joao Carlos Mendes Luis			jonny@coe.ufrj.br
+55 21 290-4698 ( Job )			jonny@adc.coppe.ufrj.br