Subject: Re: SCSI TAPES - Can't get working...
To: Jeffrey Wheat <jeff@cetlink.net>
From: Guenther Grau <s_grau@ira.uka.de>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 09/29/1995 22:03:57
Hi,

> I'm running current, compiled from the latest sup. I have an adaptec 1522A
> SCSI controller, and a TANDBERG TDC 4200 tapedrive (sent the HP DAT back)
> installed. The tape drive is at SCSI ID 6, the driver I am using (aic6360.c)
                                                                    ^^^^^^^

I do have exactly the same chip in my hostadapter (adaptec 1515 SCSI w/bootroms)
and I haven't been able to install NetBSD at all on a disk that is on the SCSI bus
controlled by this controller. Also tar fails miserable in that it tries to read
from a DAT, but during the process of reading it complains about skipping headers
or sth. and the file read from the tape has the correct size, byt only a few bytes
of the archive are correct.

> was editted as follows:
>
>	/* Synchronous data transfers? */
>	#define AIC_USE_SYNCHRONOUS	0

I didn't change anything in the src, because I can't even install NetBSD
on the system due to this bug. I am waiting for someone to provide me with
bootfloppies for -current, so I can try to install NetBSD.

> I can use this tape drive under MessyDOS with no problems. Under NetBSD,
> the drive is identified at boot, but any attempts to use it fail. I am
> wondering if it is because NetBSD is broke somewhere...??

Yes, I am quite sure it is. The aic6360 driver used to work fine in NetBSD-1.0,
but it has undergone some changes, as can be seen in the -current CHANGES file.
As I don't have the src handy, I can't check what has been fixed or which bugs
have been introduced. Have you got any other devices on the aha-1522?
Do they work properly und -current? Just wondering ...

  Guenther