Subject: Why is SLIP so slow on a dial up, but fast on a direct connect?
To: 'netbsd-help' <netbsd-help@NetBSD.ORG>
From: John Maier <JohnAM@datastorm.com>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 09/29/1995 09:07:00
I've a external Supera 28.8 off of my server (486DX2-66, 8megs, 16550
UART) with the port set to 38400. I am connecting to the server with
another Supera 28.8.

I have noticed a strange thing, if I directly connect to the server with
a serial line, I can get outstanding transfer rates.  When I replace the
line with the modem and dial up (from a PC running Trumpet, or anything
else), the rates are terrible (lots of pauses from the server).

I tried turning off compression, and error corrections, but this didn't
really help.

Some the things I notice are, if the link is left idle for a moment and
then a FTP xfer is started, initially the rate is fairly quick (2800
bytes/sec) and begins quickly to drop to 400 bytes/sec.  Telnet exhibits
the same problems.

What's up?  Has anyone else seen this.  BTW this is the second machine
I've setup that exhibits these problems.

jam

*
*       John A. Maier          * Research and Development
                *
* E-mail: johnam@datastorm.com * Datastorm Technologies Inc.
             *
*                              * Procomm Plus for Windows and DOS
        *
*                              * (314) 443-3283
                          *
*