Subject: Re: seting the LINES and COLUMNS environmental variables isn't wor king.
To: None <netbsd-help@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Christos Zoulas <christos@deshaw.com>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 09/27/1995 04:05:35
In article <30681F7D@ms-mail.datastorm.com> JohnAM@datastorm.com (John Maier) writes:

>I have been trying to set the environmental variables LINES and COLUMNS.
> However, when I try...
>
>cowsrus:/root>setenv LINES 48
>cowsrus:/root>setenv COLUMNS 132
>cowsrus:/root>env
>TERM=vt100
>HOME=/root
>SHELL=/bin/tcsh
>LOGNAME=johnam
>USER=johnam
><bunch of junk omited>
>DISTDIR=/cdrom/ports/distfiles
>LINES=24
>COLUMNS=80
>
>Why can't I change them!  I noticed that this only happens from a telnet
>and console session, setting them in an xterm works.
>
>Any ideas?
>
>jam

tcsh tries to do a smart thing with these environment variables and when
set, it tracks the tty values with them. I.e. when you resize the terminal,
tcsh catches the SIG{WINCH,WINDOW} or whatever your flavor of unix calls
the signal next Friday, and sets these two variables with the correct
values. Doing an stty lines y cols x should do the trick.

christos