Subject: FW: Initializing the modem, then starting getty...
To: 'netbsd-help' <netbsd-help@NetBSD.ORG>
From: John Maier <JohnAM@datastorm.com>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 09/22/1995 11:19:00
I know about that trick and tried it.  However, I'm using a Supera 28.8
modem.  If the modem is powered down (lighting storm) the baud rate on
the modem is set, by default, to 1200 baud until an AT command at a given
rate, i.e. 38400, is sent to the modem.  At which point the modem auto
detects the new baud rate and sets itself to the new rate.

Just in case, no, the Rockwell chipset does not support an AT command to
preset the baud rate at power up to anything else but 1200.  Reason,
their major market is the PC world, which typically use packages that
initialize the modem (i.e. PCPlus, Bitcom, etc.) So they save time and
money and really don't loose any sales (sad but true).  BTW I know some
of the developers at Rockwell, and have tried to talk them into adding
such a feature and they said no.  Oh yes, and there is the add complexity
of design. (Nice guys though!)

If you knew all of this ignore me, I'm just frustrated and a little
spoiled by the PC world on certain issues.

jam

*
*       John A. Maier          * Research and Development
                *
* E-mail: johnam@datastorm.com * Datastorm Technologies Inc.
             *
*                              * Procomm Plus for Windows and DOS
        *
*                              * (314) 443-3283
                          *
*