Subject: Re: *Very* strange interaction of /bin/cp and NFS reads
To: None <netbsd-help@NetBSD.ORG>
From: None <David_Eckhardt@ROBIN.WARP.CS.CMU.EDU>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 09/21/1995 16:08:29
	From: cracauer@wavehh.hanse.de (Martin Cracauer)
	To: netbsd-help@netbsd.org

	When copying a file from an NFS partition to a local partition,
	/bin/cp from NetBSD-1.0 often gets an older version of that file (That
	means, if the source file has been edited lately, /bin/cp often copies
	what the source file has been before editing).

	Using `cat /NFS-part/file > /local-part/file` works as expected,

	[...]

I've observed something *just* similar enough to mention:  1.0A /bin/cp via
NFS from a Mach 2.6 server (known to be a little buggy, so I didn't suspect
NetBSD of any misdeed) corrupts *some* large files, but, to my great
surprise, /bin/dd has no such problem.  When I've seen it, it has been quite
repeatable.  Weird, huh?

Dave
P.S. NetBSD's NFS client also seems to send credentials in a slightly
different form than other clients, but I haven't looked into it in great
detail.