Subject: frobbed disk label
To: None <netbsd-help@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Achyutram Bhamidipaty <ram@cs.arizona.edu>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 09/16/1995 14:22:44
I rebooted my machine today and discovered that the
disk label for the disk with the root partition has
been frobbed some how.

The disk is shared with Dos. I believe that the partition
map (ie the thing that fdisk or pfdisk fiddles with) is
fine since I can boot Dos and the netbsd kernel boots
until it tries to mount root.

I have fairly recent tape backups so I'm not too woried (praying
that the tape itself is ok) but I'm running into a couple of
problems. One I no longer have a copy of restore since that
resides on the partition with a label.

Does anyone have any suggestions? Is there any way to reconstruct
a disk label?

Can anyone mail me a copy of restore? I'm running netbsd-1.0 so
I would not be able to use anything from -current.

(My other disks are fine, I can mount them --- its just the one
with /bin and /usr/bin and all those goodies thats not accessible).

-Ram