Subject: Re: PPP dies after 60 seconds
To: Zdenek Salvet <salvet@nyx.fi.muni.cz>
From: Peter Galbavy <peter@wonderland.org>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 09/14/1995 09:48:10
> One of my friends has a problem with ppp, please help.
> ----
> I installed NetBSD 1.0 and configured its pppd2.1.1 for my ISP the same
> way as I configured my other computers (SunOS4.1.1, Linux and MS WIN).
> I dialed up the ISP's CISCO and the initial handshake went well and I could
> indeed use my ppp connection for 60 seconds after which it always died.
>
> I use the same settings for my SunOS4.1.1 with pppd2.1.2 without problems,
> so I upgraded the NetBSD's pppd2.1.1 to 2.1.2. Nothing changed and the
> connection still keeps dying after 60sec.
>
> I monitored the ppp connection with tcpdump, but I couldn't see anything
> suspicious. I use SLIP now for the NetBSD instead of PPP which I would
> prefer, because of dynamic addressing etc.
>
> PLEASE does anybody have an advice or a pointer which I would greatly
> appreciate?

This is a classic symptom of mis-negotiating LQM on the link. I thought
the PPP in 1.0 de-negotiated LQM correctly, but maybe not. What actually
happens is that it takes 52 seconds for the other end to think that 100%
of LQM packets have been lost and then hangup.

Either ask your provider to turn off LQM for you, or if there are
configurable options (like with our Protocol: prompt) then turn
it off.

Of course this could be something else...

Regards,
--
Peter Galbavy                                           peter@wonderland.org
@ Home                                                 phone://44/973/499465