Subject: Help: SLIP problems
To: None <netbsd-help@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Gary Henderson <garyh@wet.sbi.com>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 09/13/1995 16:39:25
I've run out of ideas trying to get a slip connection setup between my
NetBSD-current (May 15th snapshot) i486 notebook machine and Demon Internet
in the UK - does anybody have any suggestions:

Zoom 14.4x modem, using bsddip-1.01 to dial. Modem successfully used by an
Amiga to connect to Demon on numerous occations.

Created /etc/resolv.conf to read:
lookup file bind
nameserver 158.152.1.193
nameserver 158.152.1.65
domain demon.co.uk

Modem dials, connects, dip goes through login sequence and completes
successfully.

ifconfig sl0 reports interface is up. route add default 158.152.1.222
(demon's gateway machine) has be done by dip.

ping news.demon.co.uk hangs (modem's send light, followed immediately by the
receieve light, flashes once every few seconds). ftp, telnet, rlogin, etc all
hang - eventually timing out. I added a known Demon machine to my /etc/hosts
file to avoid using the nameserver, but ping still hangs.

Demon drops the modem connection after about 30 seconds.

Any ideas anyone ?

Thanks for any help you can give,

Gary.

PS. Demon were must unhelpful - their support department didn't seem to know
anything about Unix and their modems are usually always busy - 2 hours trying
last night without a single successful connection; 6am this morning, no
problem.