Subject: Re: help re-installing sources/compiling kernel
To: Dirk Kleinhesselink <dkleinh@isotope.ps.uci.edu>
From: Chad Mynhier <mynhier@cs.utk.edu>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 09/07/1995 10:58:52
In message <24271.809235071@BALVENIE.PDL.CS.CMU.EDU>, Dirk Kleinhesselink
writes:

>I thought about re-installing the source code (from the floppies I made),
>but the installation routines from the initial NetBSD install are either
>not there (I think they are in some .  scripts in /root, but I tried to
>run these with sh, but that did not work) or do not work.
>
>I had also tried to run make in all the directories under /usr/src , but
>may have deleted some directories -- I did not delete anything under
>/usr/src/sys .
>
>any suggestions for re-installing the sources, or compiling the kernel ?
>
>                 Thanks,
>
>                       Dirk
>                       dkleinh@isotope.ps.uci.edu

	This isn't an actual solution to the problem, but it's
at least a pointer.  The scripts that you need are on the install
disk, I believe.  You'll probably just need to mount that disk
and get those scripts.  Like I said, this isn't a very precise
answer, but this information I got (once upon a time) from the
*BSD FAQ, which can be found at:

http://www.public.iastate.edu/~gendalia/FAQ/FAQ.list.html

	The reason I'm sending a reply to this is to advertise
the fact that this FAQ is out there.  I don't know how many people
are aware of it.  One of the sections of the FAQ had the solution
to your problem.

Chad Mynhier <mynhier@cs.utk.edu>
Student System Administrator, CS Department
University of Tennessee, Knoxville
WWW: http://www.cs.utk.edu/~mynhier/