Subject: Modem problems
To: None <netbsd-help@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Chad Mynhier <mynhier@cs.utk.edu>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 09/07/1995 09:30:49
	I'm running NetBSD-1.0 on a 486.  I have an internal
14.4 modem (SupraExpress, I believe, if that matters), and I
can't communicate with the modem.  Can anyone help?

Information:
- The modem is on DOS COM3, IRQ 5.
- I did a MAKEDEV, and /dev/tty02 exists, and is chown'd to
  uucp.wheel.
- I added a line in /etc/remote that says:

	tty02:dv=/dev/tty02:br#9600:

- /etc/ttys has this to say:

	tty02 "/usr/libexec/getty std.9600" unknown off secure

- I tried the following:

	stty -f /dev/tty02 clocal

- The phone is plugged in.

- When I try 'tip tty02', nothing happens for about 5 seconds
  or more, then it returns with 'link down'.  When I try
  'tip tty01', it returns immediately with a 'device not
  configured' message.  (There was no com1 listed in the boot
  messages.)

	Does anyone have any suggestions?  Could it have
something to do with the /etc/ttys file?  Do I need to change
it to 'on', and if so, what do I specify instead of 'unknown'?
I went searching through man files, spent a few minutes looking
through /usr/share/misc/termcap, but I couldn't get enough out
of it to know precisely what I needed to do.

Chad Mynhier <mynhier@cs.utk.edu>
Student System Administrator, CS Department
University of Tennessee, Knoxville
WWW: http://www.cs.utk.edu/~mynhier/