Subject: Re: ftp to netbsd
To: Brad Walker <bwalker@musings.com>
From: Scott Reynolds <scottr@edsi.org>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 09/07/1995 07:38:07
On Thu, 7 Sep 1995, Brad Walker wrote:

> I'm having trouble ftp to/from my Sun machine running Solaris. I've got
> NetBSD on my SS1. And I'm trying to ftp from my other SS1. It doesn't work.
> I can log in. But, when I try to do a "LIST" command it doesn't work.

Are you typing "LIST"?  Or "ls" or "dir" (which are the standard
commands)?  The former relies on a vendor-specific feature; if you're
doing the latter, it sounds like something is funny with the Solaris
machine, to me.

> I believe this has something to do with the ftp-data coming over port 20
> where the ftp control port is 21.

This is quite normal, no?  From /etc/services,

ftp-data        20/tcp          # default ftp data port
ftp             21/tcp

The NetBSD ftp client is really quite standard; I've never had any problems
such as you describe.

--scott