Subject: RE: Modem problems
To: netbsd-help <netbsd-help@NetBSD.ORG>
From: John Maier <JohnAM@datastorm.com>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 09/07/1995 14:55:00
>tty02 "/usr/libexec/getty std.9600" unknown off secure

NetBSD 1.0 (at least) will not let you talk to the modem unless
CD is set high on the modem.  This is great if you have tty02
turned on in /etc/ttys but this doesn't help tip very much.  If...

/usr/bin/cu -l /dev/tty02 -s 38400

fails, or

echo "AT" > /dev/tty02

hang the terminal (be sure to have another terminal to kill it),
CD is your problem.

***DESIGN REQUEST ON***
It sure would be nice if one could talk to a serial port when it is
not in use or CD is low.  One can't even do an
echo "AT&C1&D2/N0S11=60" > /dev/tty02
to initialize the modem!
***DESIGN REQUEST OFF***

Don't get me wrong, I love NetBSD and recommend it to all of my
friends, but this is one issue that just make me hang my head...

I've been beating on this problem ever since I first hit NetBSD
and still haven't got a good reason for this "feature".

>        Does anyone have any suggestions?  Could it have
>something to do with the /etc/ttys file?  Do I need to change
>it to 'on', and if so, what do I specify instead of 'unknown'?
>I went searching through man files, spent a few minutes looking
>through /usr/share/misc/termcap, but I couldn't get enough out
>of it to know precisely what I needed to do.

No, you don't want to do that, then your as bad off as before.

Boot a DOS diskette (or partition) run your favorite DOS comm
package, connect to the port and type the magic init string...

AT&C0

This will force CD high until the machine is powered down.

If you want to save this setting to NVRAM, type...

AT&W0

Hummm...SuperaExpress 14.4, this isn't one of the RPI based
modems?  If it is, it doesn't have NVRAM, so don't power down
too often.  :-)

jam

*       John A. Maier          * Research and Development                 *
* E-mail: johnam@datastorm.com * Datastorm Technologies Inc.              *
*                              * Procomm Plus for Windows and DOS         *
*                              * (314) 443-3283                           *