Subject: Re: PPP almost working
To: Matthew B. Wood <devtrix@netcom.com>
From: Scott Reynolds <scottr@edsi.org>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 09/03/1995 19:04:57
On Sun, 3 Sep 1995, Matthew B. Wood wrote:

> None, except that when I installed 1.0 on my 486, i couldn't get the native
> PPP to run either.

I've been running PPP on NetBSD since pre-1.0 days.  If you're
adventurous, check out the current-users mailing list archives; I
published my entire setup there about a year ago (give or take a couple
months).  It works pretty well, and has required little if any change
since then.

The short version of the story is this:  use the 'local' flag in
/etc/ttys, use a dialing script file rather than specifying arguments to
chat, and read the pppd docs *thoroughly*.  I can't stress this last part
enough.

--scott

PS: the following is illustrative of the "right" way to do a connect script:

connect "chat -f /etc/ppp/dial.scr"

Note the double quotes, not single quotes!  I remember a great deal of
frustration trying to use the latter. :-)