Subject: Re: Old gnu tools
To: David Brownlee <D.K.Brownlee@city.ac.uk>
From: Kerry James Paulson <umpaul11@cc.UManitoba.CA>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 08/29/1995 12:35:22
David Brownlee writes:

> On Fri, 25 Aug 1995, Jason Thorpe wrote:
>
> > On Fri, 25 Aug 1995 16:12:38, David Brownlee wrote:
> >
> >  > 	Are there any known problems with 2.7.0?
> >
> > The last I heard, there were indeed m68k code generation bugs in gcc 2.7.0.
> >
> 	Are they any worse than those in 2.4.5? :)

  Unfortunately they are.  The source tree will not compile with 2.7.0. Some
of the binaries produce assembler errors while others just crash.  Strangely
enough the kernel seemed to compile without any problems.

> 	Seriously, I would think it safe to assume we won't be staying
> 	with 2.4.5 forever, and assuming 2.7.X (*) appears to be ok, would
> 	core consider importing it to -current, or are they intending to
> 	wait till after the next official release?

  I think a good starting point would be for everyone who has experienced
compiler bugs with 2.7.X to report them.  I'm sure if the major bugs have
been squashed already core will be much more willing to integrate 2.7.X.
Maintaining the NetBSD sources in a mostly bug free state is enough work
without having to worry about compiler bugs :)

> 	If core would consider pulling it into -current, then its up
> 	to interested parties to pick a mailing list to talk on
> 	(ie not netbsd-help :), and start compiling their systems with
> 	gcc 2.7.X (*) and finding problems.
>
> 	So... we just need a word from core :) (Sorry guys :)
>
> 	(*) Maybe 2.7.1 would be a better starting point to look at than
> 	2.7.0, but the sooner people start looking at it & identifying
> 	problems, the sooner problems could be solved.

  Where is this available?  I haven't been able to find it.