Subject: Re: Old gnu tools
To: Jason Thorpe <thorpej@nas.nasa.gov>
From: David Brownlee <D.K.Brownlee@city.ac.uk>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 08/29/1995 14:26:05
On Fri, 25 Aug 1995, Jason Thorpe wrote:

> On Fri, 25 Aug 1995 16:12:38, David Brownlee wrote:
>
>  > 	Are there any known problems with 2.7.0?
>
> The last I heard, there were indeed m68k code generation bugs in gcc 2.7.0.

	Are they any worse than those in 2.4.5? :)

	Seriously, I would think it safe to assume we won't be staying
	with 2.4.5 forever, and assuming 2.7.X (*) appears to be ok, would
	core consider importing it to -current, or are they intending to
	wait till after the next official release?

	If core would consider pulling it into -current, then its up
	to interested parties to pick a mailing list to talk on
	(ie not netbsd-help :), and start compiling their systems with
	gcc 2.7.X (*) and finding problems.

	So... we just need a word from core :) (Sorry guys :)

	(*) Maybe 2.7.1 would be a better starting point to look at than
	2.7.0, but the sooner people start looking at it & identifying
	problems, the sooner problems could be solved.

			David/abs

 D.K.Brownlee@city.ac.uk (MIME) +44 171 477 8186  {post,host}master  (abs)
Network Analyst, UCS, City University, Northampton Square, London EC1V 0HB.
   <<< Monochrome - Largest UK Internet BBS - telnet mono.city.ac.uk >>>