Subject: Re: Old gnu tools
To: Eric S. Hvozda <hvozda@netcom.com>
From: Kerry James Paulson <umpaul11@cc.UManitoba.CA>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 08/25/1995 07:55:02
Eric S. Hvozda writes:

> On Fri, 25 Aug 1995 02:17:58 -0500 (CDT)  Kerry James Paulson wrote:
> >
> >   Exactly.  Does it not make sense then to integrate bug fixes into the
> > current release of gcc so that it compiles out of the box?  The compiler
> > is going to have to be updated at some point, I think making the odd
> > per-release bug fix would be easier than doing a major upgrade every few
> > years.
>
> Last I heard, current versions out gcc do compile out the box under
> current (dunno about 1.0, never bothered to try) or with little
> changes.  I think jtc did this...?

  Not under the Amiga port, it produces buggy code with optimization
turned on (-O). I don't know if this is a 68k problem or not, but if 2.7.0 was
integrated into NetBSD these bugs would have been fixed.  It's not a
standard now so it seems nobody has bothered to fix it.  I appreciate the
effort taken to bring gcc up to date, but has to work and be installed on
on ALL of the ports or it will just cause confusion when people report
compiler bugs.

  I think it would be a good idea to freeze current now (it's been a long
time since the last release) and update all the GNU tools to the latest
version.  If the source is in a relatively bug free state prior to the
release any bugs caused by the compiler upgrade will be easier to find and
correct.

Kerry