Subject: Re: Elm 2.4 problems, ie: lock files
To: Jeffrey Wheat <cassidy@gnu.ai.mit.edu>
From: Eric S. Hvozda <hvozda@netcom.com>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 08/25/1995 05:03:59
On Thu, 24 Aug 1995 12:54:10 -36507155 (MDT)  Jeffrey Wheat wrote:

> 	I'm attempting to install elm on my netbsd-1.0 server and I
> get the errors regarding file locking while attempting to read mail.
> I have searched through the archives and found nothing of use to help
> me. IF anyone has successfully built and used elm 2.4(pl23 I think) I
> would be very grateful if I could be given tips on doing so. I have
> so far, tried running sgid wheel, mode 1777 on /var/mail, and a few
> other things. Many thanks in advance.

Is this with Elm built for a mounted mail spool?

NetBSD doesn't have a mechanism to implement Sun's NFS file locking
protocol (some say it works; others say it's impossible).  So therefore
Elm will timeout while waiting for the lock that can never happen :-)

I dunno if anyone out there has a solution for it or if we've
implemented it under current (I don't believe so).  I just build Elm
without NFS file locking since I don't use a mounted mail spool...