Subject: Install problems
To: None <netbsd-help@NetBSD.ORG>
From: None <William_Fink_at_DECC15@ditco.disa.mil>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 08/24/1995 08:59:56

     I am having problems installing netBSD i386.  When I go write the os
     to my disk, I get the message

        wd0: wdcontrol: geometry failed: status 0 error 0

     Here is my system:

     ZEOS Pantera Pentium 75
     16 MB Ram
     1.08 GB Segate IDE Drive

                Physical        As reported by pfdisk
                --------        ---------------------
     Cylinders  2099            523
     Heads      16              64
     Tracks     63              63

     I use pfdisk to create the following partitions

                                  Start   end
                           Dos     0       410
                           netBsd  411     522

     Durring install I answer the following questions:

     Disk type          IDE
     Disk               wd0
     Cylinders          523
     Heads              64
     Tracks             63
     Measurements       Cylinders
     NetBSD Size        111
     Offset             411
     Kernel             10
     Swap               16
     /usr               85

     The instal instructions say to be consistant with what is reported
     with other co-existing os's. So...my question is...what am I doing
     wrong?  I have installed netBSD on other computer without problems
     (but they have all had smaller HD's that did not use geomery
     translation)

     Idealy, I want to have about 220 MB to devote to netBSD, of that,
                                   20 MB for the kernel
                                   32 MB for swap
                                  100+   for programs

     I want to use netBSD for educational purposes and experimentation on a
     UN*X os.

     TIA Bill Fink :-)