Subject: help re-installing sources/compiling kernel
To: None <netbsd-help@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Dirk Kleinhesselink <dkleinh@isotope.ps.uci.edu>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 08/23/1995 23:31:11
    Hi,

    I've got NetBSD-1.0 installed on my i486 machine and I had installed
the kernel source code and had figured out how to compile a kernel
successfully.  I wanted to make a kernel with the virtual consoles and had
followed the configuration instructions.  I did a make clean and make depend,
but I think I ran make clean at too high of a directory level and removed
some things that shouldn't have been removed.  Anyway, when I ran make to
compile the kernel (from /usr/src/sys/arch/i386/compile), it compiled the
sources, but failed on the link complaining of undefined references in
several modules: pcvt_sup.o was missing fillw, bcopyb and rtcin
                 setjmp.o was missing sigblock, sigsetmask and cerror

I thought about re-installing the source code (from the floppies I made),
but the installation routines from the initial NetBSD install are either
not there (I think they are in some .  scripts in /root, but I tried to
run these with sh, but that did not work) or do not work.

I had also tried to run make in all the directories under /usr/src , but I
may have deleted some directories -- I did not delete anything under
/usr/src/sys .

any suggestions for re-installing the sources, or compiling the kernel ?

                 Thanks,

                       Dirk
                       dkleinh@isotope.ps.uci.edu