Subject: Re: modem help
To: Dirk Kleinhesselink <djk@saintl.com>
From: Mark F Willey <willey@ecn.purdue.edu>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 08/21/1995 20:36:30
"In a previous message, Dirk Kleinhesselink wrote:"

> have used my modem with DOS/Windows and Linux, so it is installed correctly.
> I have an external modem connected to my DOS COM2 port.  When NetBSD boots
> and examines my system, it recognizeds com0 and com1 as either 82450 or
> 16450 with no fifo (Linux reports them to be 16450).  I read the MAKEDEV file
> in /dev to see how it made the devices, and it said they were /dev/tty00
> with major 8 and minor 0 for com0 and /dev/tty01 major 8, minor 1 for com1.
> THe ownership should be uucp.wheel.  I made sure these were there and tried
> to talk to my modem with cu : cu -l /dev/tty01
> I got a connected response, but when I tried to type in characters, I got:
> cu: write error:
> and cu then disconnected.
>    Could anybody please help we ?  I appreciate it very much.

Here's my /dev entries:
crw-rw----  1 root  wheel    8,   0 Aug  8 14:46 /dev/tty00
crw-------  1 uucp  wheel    8,   1 Aug 21 19:27 /dev/tty01
crw-------  1 root  wheel    8,   2 Apr 16 18:21 /dev/tty02

And tty00 is my modem.  I just gave it rw for wheel, which is just me.  I
suppose I could make a group "dialers" and be that, too.  I use kermit, not
cu, and maybe that has some effect.

BTW, 82450 and 16450 are for all practical purposes, identical.  And they
do not have FIFO.  That's the 16550 UART that is called "buffered" meaning
that it has the FIFO.  A must if you do > 9600bps.  Well, not a must, but
at least suggested.  ;-)

Mark